With record-breaking cold temperatures here this month, soup has been on my mind and on the dinner table. Regardless, I enjoy soup and find it an ideal food year-round, whether I’m wearing three layers at the dinner table in February or my bathing suit on the beach in August.
Soup is also a great choice for entertaining. It makes an elegant first course for a dinner party, and can play a starring role at a casual gathering. It’s versatile, relatively easy to make, and usually can be made in advance. Keep some in the freezer and heat it up when company drops by or you just want a satisfying hot meal with little effort.
So, it’s not surprising that soup may well be the largest category of recipes here on the blog, with almost 40 posts on the topic in three and a half years. Here’s a roundup of 37 soup recipes, including one cold soup (someone, somewhere will enjoy that one in February). I hope you find one or two that inspire you to get out the soup pot!
My Top Ten Favourites
I thought it would be fun to choose my top ten soups. Most of these are recipes that I turn to over and and over, but there are a couple on the list that I’ve only made once or twice and can’t wait to make again. Already I can think of a couple I’d like to add to the list, but I’ll behave and stick to the rules.
- Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup (variations here and here)
- Creamy Leek & Potato Soup (chowder version here)
- Carrot, Squash & Apple Soup
- Grilled Corn Soup
- Brussels Sprouts & Pancetta Soup
- Moroccan Harira
- Yellow Split Pea Soup
- Portobello Mushroom & Sausage Soup
- Curried Pumpkin Coconut Chickpea Soup
- Slow Cooker Bone Broth
Most Viewed Soups by Readers
I thought it would be fun to check out the top three most-viewed soups on the blog. Here they are, with the most-viewed soup first. While it’s not on my favourites list, the two runners-up are.
Let’s just get this one out of the way; it makes me shiver to think of eating a chilled soup now. It would be great in the heat of summer though.
More Hot Soups
Here are the rest of the soup recipes currently on the blog, in no particular order.
- Golden Cauliflower Soup
- Kale Soup with Ginger & Lemon
- Clean-Out-the-Fridge Spring Soup
- Cream of Fresh Pea Soup
- Southwest Chicken Soup
- Asparagus Soup with Spinach
- Celeriac Soup
- Zucchini Soup
- Cabbage & Kale Soup
- Tomato Soup with Red Lentils
- Caramelized Onion & Cabbage Soup
- Garlic Scapes, Onion & Tomato Soup
- Celery & Mushroom Soup with Chickpeas
- Chili-Seasoned Corn & Cauliflower Soup with Chickpeas & Spinach
- Cabbage, Tomato & Quinoa Soup
- Summer Soup with Cauliflower, Split Peas & Corn
- Late Summer Soup with Butternut Squash, Corn & Red Lentils
- Carrot Lentil Soup
- Carrot Soup with Tarragon
- Rich Beef Stock
- Celery Root & Potato Soup
- Curried Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Sundried Tomato & Parsley Pesto
- Hearty Roasted Squash & Garlic Soup
- Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup
Finally, if you’re looking for some writing about soup, these two posts contain my musings and some how-to’s on soup making.